Direct line refusing to insure my adapted Caddy

Adapted Vehicles.

VEHICLE MENU: www.wheelchairdriver.com/accessible-vehicles.htm

Direct line refusing to insure my adapted Caddy

Postby stevelawiw » 03 May 2019, 16:22

Hi has anyone had problems insuring thier adapted vans before? I'm a bit shocked this sort of thing still goes on, maybe I'm being a bit naive but it has angered me.
Thier problem is with the adapted suspension, they say it is not something thier underwriters will allow. I have complained and they are going to check with thier underwriters. I'm currently insured with Fish, I've never claimed off them for anything but my premium keeps increasing every year, this year they want £370 so I thought i'd shop around. direct lines standard premium for me is £168 without breakdown and this problem has occured when I phoned to tell them it's an adapted van.
stevelawiw

Re: Direct line refusing to insure my adapted Caddy

Postby Burgerman » 03 May 2019, 16:44

Because you want to insure something that is different to the quote. Thats not a surprise. My fish insurance is agreed value 45K and the premium they wanted was 414 pounds because its not only adapted suspension, but wheels, lowered floor, 57K replacement, left hand drive, and US import, 3.8 litre.

So I went online and did it for 344 with Elephant. It includes no claims cover and legal, etc etc. Yes I rang LATER and confirmed all heavy modifications, and all complicated details before payment. Start with comparison sites, follow up with a call. There were three at 179 but required some fancy alarm imobilizer, so I skipped those.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby stevelawiw » 03 May 2019, 17:43

Ok understand what you're saying.
But it still, after 39 years in a chair really irks me that this sort of thing is still happening, I have to pay extra to have a vehicle that I can even get into let alone drive, and then I have to pay more for insurance even tho I'm no more likely to have an accident than anybody else (probably less given my low mileage) because of the adaptations that I have to have banghead
stevelawiw

Postby Burgerman » 03 May 2019, 20:40

Being disabled is expensive. Theres not a lot you can do about this.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby foghornleghorn » 03 May 2019, 21:12

Maybe read what you are agreeing to before you submit the quote form?
Direct Line > Get a quote

5. Assumptions and privacy
Your vehicle has not been changed from the manufacturer’s standard specification (including wheels, suspension, bodywork and engine).

Modified vehicle is more expensive to fix if damaged - of course it will be more expensive to insure.

Doesn't matter how safe a driver you think you are. Everything is down to statistics and you will be grouped together with everyone else who owns an adapted Caddy. Plus extreme low mileage makes you more of a risk in their eyes through lack of practice.

A modified vehicle is going to be best insured through a broker that deals mainly in modified vehicles. It will end up properly described during the quote and on your paperwork leaving no confusion later if you have to claim.
https://www.fishinsurance.co.uk
https://www.chartwellinsurance.co.uk
https://www.bewiser.co.uk/disabled-driv ... -insurance
https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/disabled
foghornleghorn

Postby iainsherriff » 04 May 2019, 16:53

be careful with Direct Line !!

They do quote well first time round BUT the price bumps considerably next time AND they add penalty charges when you leave !
Matt (son) is chair user.
MS fairly advanced
Quickie Salsa Mini2 for indoors
TGA S4 for dog/kid walking
iainsherriff

Return to Adapted Cars Vans MPV's