R Net settings for LiFeP04

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: R Net settings for LiFeP04

Postby wheelie junkie » 12 Aug 2019, 15:01

Yeah, I understand width and profile and usually prefer a higher 70 profile over a 60 but that is also width dependent. Most of the sport bikes owned were 120/70 17 which is what I would think that the majority still are as it works and you have plenty of choice. I'm trying to recall a model of Suzuki that used a weird size rear possibly 170/60 17 but it was a specific fitment so no choice. It gets stupid when makers do that. You need options on tyres.
wheelie junkie

Postby Burgerman » 12 Aug 2019, 18:32

MANY 600S used to use that size on a 5.00 wide rear rim. And some early 750s.

Never saw the point of 600s as they are all revs and not much go. All hell and no actual go. You make a noise like a F1 car, and end up going about 30mph faster than you were. Tested loads for MCN and performance bikes. 750s were always much nicer and easier to ride at slower speeds and had a lot better go. And again, you may just as well get the 1000 or 1100 version ... Same bike with a lot more power in most cases. And a few chassis improvements like better brakes. The bigger litre bikes are just easier at low speeds too. You dont need 11 gears to overtake. Just leave it in the one you are in...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ex-Gooserider » 13 Aug 2019, 01:26

Burgerman wrote:MANY 600S used to use that size on a 5.00 wide rear rim. And some early 750s.

Never saw the point of 600s as they are all revs and not much go. All hell and no actual go. You make a noise like a F1 car, and end up going about 30mph faster than you were. Tested loads for MCN and performance bikes. 750s were always much nicer and easier to ride at slower speeds and had a lot better go. And again, you may just as well get the 1000 or 1100 version ... Same bike with a lot more power in most cases. And a few chassis improvements like better brakes. The bigger litre bikes are just easier at low speeds too. You dont need 11 gears to overtake. Just leave it in the one you are in...

The 600's were basically a 'legal fiddle' as there were some trade disputes at the time - mostly the Japanese being accused of 'dumping' bikes in the US market, which was causing pain for Harley so they slapped a big tariff on bikes over 700cc... (To their credit, a few years later, Harley asked that the tariffs be removed as they had gotten a lot of their problems solved and felt they no longer needed them to be competitive) So the Japanese basically came out with the 600's to have bikes that were just under the tariff point, and thus still low cost....

They turned out to be a big problem in some ways, as they were cheap enough that the 16 year olds could afford to put down for them with what they were making on their first burger-flipping jobs.... (and could convince the parents to sign off on because "It's only a 600" - or half the size of the family bloatmobile)

Kid is new, and rides gingerly at part throttle for the first 500 miles or so while (thinking he is) figuring out the basics and 'breaking in' the bike.... Shortly after this he starts feeling like he knows it all and 'lets find out what it can do' - and for the first time goes above 75% throttle - discovers the POWERband and the back end of a Buick at about the same time.... hanged hanged

I had a friend that ran a motorcycle salvage yard, and he had ROWS of 600's, all front end totals, all with 500-1500 miles on them.....

OTOH, the more expensive 750+ bikes almost never showed up in the yard, as they tended to be bought by older more experienced riders who had developed the necessary auxiliary brain in the right wrist....

ex-Gooserider (Earned AMA life member, MMA Life Member, MSF Founding member, former MSF instructor)
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby ex-Gooserider » 13 Aug 2019, 01:50

Scooterman wrote:Just a quickie.

One thing I've always wondered is..... are foot forward, arms stretch out straight, custom type bikes uncomfortable to ride?

They look uncomfortable to me. They look like that riding position would give you arm ache and lower back ache?

I have ridden a few that belonged to other people on different occasions.... They aren't bad at 'mellow' speeds - i.e. those vaguely resembling the numbers on the speed limit signs.... Especially if you have one equipped with a passenger who can supply nicely padded head and neck support.... :angel:

Not my first choice in riding position though. My biggest gripe is that with the feet out in front it was all but impossible to get your but up off the seat to soak up potholes and other bumps...

OTOH, it lets you save a whole lot on underarm deodorant, and teaches the proper pose for OB / GYN exams.... :lol: :clap

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby wheelie junkie » 13 Aug 2019, 10:40

I only test rode 1 600,a Honda 600RR, was used to Ducati v twins and the Honda just revved to stupid numbers, it was like riding a 70's 2 stroke trying to find a powerband. About 15 minutes in I knew that it definitely wasn't for me, took it back to the dealer and asked for a ride on an SP2 v twin. Ended up buying that, nice and grunty without being revved to death. Only had 1 "small" 750,a zx7R didn't keep it long a trip to the south of France finished me off, way to uncomfy. Replaced with a ZX9R which was a totally different animal, almost sport tourer rather than sport bike. Easier to ride with the extra power and riding position.

There is so much choice in bikes you can always find something usually affordable although I keep looking at Ducati v4's and the crazy price tags and whether I could of justified buying one if I could still ride.
wheelie junkie

Postby Burgerman » 13 Aug 2019, 11:05

If able bodied, and could only have 1 bike, I dont know what I would buy. Probably a supermotard 450 twin. Those are sideways sliding, long travel suspension, fast, and suit todays ruined roads. Basically do anything in comfort. But rubbish on motorways...

So you need an R1 too... Preferably a hotted up one.

600s and to some extent 750s always left me cold. They were all trying to be superbikes but werent. 1100s or litre bikes are the same but much better.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby wheelie junkie » 13 Aug 2019, 13:04

I rode the Aprillia 450v twin supermoto when I was working in Oregon, great fun on and off road. There was a lot of dirt road there and I considered one for here but there wasn't enough dirt road and what there is you need knobbly tired enduro bike for. I found that out when I bought a KTM Duke and tried to go off road on road tyres :)

Realistically a BMW R1200GS was my most practical buy, could use for work, tour, light off road and just playing on if I was AB I'd still have one. Or just buy something classic that will appreciate and you can look at, should never of sold my Ducati Paul Smart rep :)
wheelie junkie

Postby Burgerman » 13 Aug 2019, 14:21

I had a wet on the rear when I rode one of those. Works quite well off road. And melts and slides all over the place on dry tarmac roads... Enormous fun. You can do bends on dry roads sideways. :thumbup:
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby wheelie junkie » 13 Aug 2019, 16:09

Burgerman wrote: Enormous fun. You can do bends on dry roads sideways. :thumbup:

You might of been able to, I was happier bike tipped over and knee slider on tarmac. Never did get the hang of sliding bikes, maybe wouldn't be like this if I had banghead
wheelie junkie

Postby Burgerman » 13 Aug 2019, 16:21

Thats only because you cant slide a 600, or a 1000 on sticky road tyres. Not without crashing. Unless you are gary mcoy... Just now and again where the road isnt grippy or wher you have cold tyres leaving the pub, or doing rolling burnouts etc maybe...

But with 400 horsepower or so and a refugee from the dragstrip, with a little longer swing arm you cant stop it! It does it on motorway slip roads, 1/4 mile at a time. Same with wheelies. Its not something you try to do, it just isnt avoidable in any of the first 4 gears.

So you get used to it as a normal state of affairs, as if it was a motocrosser on dirt.

As for the supermotard, its easy on that. Because with a wet tyre, on a dry road, it all turns to snot... Again its easy like you are riding on dirt. High bars, longish wheelbase, and a destroyed melted tyre offering predictable easy slides. It just does it as you open the throttle after the apex. And will keep doing it till you are upright. Its not that hard. Its certainly not the fastest way. But more fun.

Road racers often fit a wet on the rear to go out and practice for the same reason. It feels as as if the tyres is flat grip wise, but its not. A good way to practice sliding about. Without a dirt bike.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby wheelie junkie » 13 Aug 2019, 18:06

I couldn't slide my KTM supermoto, the problem wasn't the bike or tyres it was me! With enough HP and position wheelies can't be avoided, same in a chair, right motors and controller, rearward COG and you spend more time on 2 wheels than 4.This chair is the easiest thing I've had to wheelie. Anti tips prevent me doing any more damage to myself.

Saying that as a kid I had a C50 step through, no power, auto clutch gearbox, you had to hold shifter down, release quickly and it would lift until rear mudguard touched down, I could wheelie that further than any big bike I've owned since. If nothing else this thread has brought back some good memories.
wheelie junkie

Postby Burgerman » 13 Aug 2019, 19:06

Did you never play on motocrossers? They are like light switches. They are on, or off... They are violent. At least the old 500 two stoke ones were. Almost impossible to ride on tarmac. And off road that garantees you go sideways. Its just a matter of how far you can go like that before you chicken out or fall off. Its not a matter of choice. It does give you a lot of skills to use on a roadbike when the inevitable oil or wet patch surprises you. Or with daft hp roadbikes.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby wheelie junkie » 14 Aug 2019, 14:38

Never rode mx bikes, as a kid I rode on pit heaps on an old BSA Bantam 125 with plunger suspension, no power or suspension. Never had the money to buy a proper bike or transport to places I could use it. Parents hated me playing with motorbikes so I had to learn to fix them myself. Proper education not academic theory.
wheelie junkie

Previous

Return to Everything Powerchair