double offboard charger cable

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

double offboard charger cable

Postby Tigerfan11 » 15 Mar 2019, 16:24

Hi to cut a long story short, the charity that i bought my new powerchair from, their trading arm has ceased trading.

I was trying to get a double offboard charger cable as its difficult getting the chair from car to house. its a SQPC-07A
http://www.shqueenstone.com/Product/7823091112.html

Can anyone advise where I can get a double offboard cable or have one made please?
Tigerfan11

Re: double offboard charger cable

Postby woodygb » 15 Mar 2019, 17:01

Excuse my ignorance ...but what is a double offboard charger cable?
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby Tigerfan11 » 15 Mar 2019, 17:08

Apologies probably my non techie description !

A cable to go from the XLR port of the charger, that leads off into two cables with 2 lots of 4 Anderson connectors at the other end that plug straight into the batteries themselves ( to save taking the whole chair upstairs)

Apologies for my non technical description!
Tigerfan11

Postby woodygb » 15 Mar 2019, 17:19

I'm still a little confused as to what this cable would look like.

I do not understand the need for 2 lots of 4 anderson connectors.

Are you intending to remove the battery and charge it separately ?
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby woodygb » 15 Mar 2019, 17:26

Describe your normal charging procedure.

I.E. ...Drag the chair inside and simply plug in the charger via a standard 3 pin XLR ?

Must the battery be charged IN the chair due to the charging system being incorporated into the chair ?
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby flagman1776 » 15 Mar 2019, 17:33

Your folding power chair isn't one I'm familiar with. Take pictures of the charging ports, charger, any charging wiring you have. Then explain your normal charging process referring to those pictures. Is what you are asking for a standard part that you just need to source or a custom piece?
Are you perhaps looking for a Y harness to use a single charger to charge 2 separate batteries?
TravelScoot1 3P8S LiFePO4 Hyperion 1420i
TravelScoot2 OEM LI & charging
battery interchange adapters
Pride Wrangler
flagman1776

Postby woodygb » 15 Mar 2019, 17:42

NOT the same chair ...but the SQPC-07A seems to have the same sort of battery location.

Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby Tigerfan11 » 15 Mar 2019, 17:50

I’m not explaining this well am I sorry! Yes that photo is very like mine. I normally charge via the joystick charger port with an XLR connector, but the y shaped harness sounds exactly what I mean. I wanted to plug the charger xlr int the harness which plugs into the batteries direct. I’ve done a photo
Attachments
9DBAA202-4665-4EEC-9F62-7D0E150F3828.jpeg
Tigerfan11

Postby Burgerman » 15 Mar 2019, 18:11

Those connectors are easy to get.
But there are 4 connections.
Do YOU know what they are or where they would go?

If you have a volt meter, you can easily find out.
And then you could make a simple charge cable, that you can plug the batteries into indoors. You would need an XLR socket, too of course.

But you would need to know what the four connections do. Or where they go inside the battery.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Tigerfan11 » 15 Mar 2019, 18:34

I was hoping to not make one myself, as you can probably tell my technical expertise is limited, very limited :(
Tigerfan11

Postby Burgerman » 15 Mar 2019, 18:38

Then it will $cost$ you... But the real problem if finding one from the thousands of similar clones in china that will sell parts and that is the same.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Tigerfan11 » 15 Mar 2019, 18:44

I was hoping to not make one myself, as you can probably tell my technical expertise is limited, very limited :(
Tigerfan11

Postby Tigerfan11 » 15 Mar 2019, 18:47

Burgerman wrote:Then it will $cost$ you... But the real problem if finding one from the thousands of similar clones in china that will sell parts and that is the same.

No I realise it will cost but having searched the internet I can’t see anything like, would you have a link please?
Tigerfan11

Postby Tigerfan11 » 15 Mar 2019, 19:01

Burgerman wrote:Then it will $cost$ you... But the real problem if finding one from the thousands of similar clones in china that will sell parts and that is the same.

No I realise it will cost but having searched the internet I can’t see anything like, would you have a link please?
Tigerfan11

Postby Burgerman » 15 Mar 2019, 19:46

Not sure I know how to even look.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby flagman1776 » 15 Mar 2019, 21:55

We don't even know where you are! This an international forum, members all around the globe.
If you go to the top left, click on the "user control panel". Click on the profile tab. Giving an approximate location would give us something to go on. It's generally helpful to put your devises we're discussing in your signature.
There might be someone near you who is willing to help or refer you to a local resource.
Pride Wrangler
flagman1776

Postby flagman1776 » 16 Mar 2019, 02:45

Looking at you image... is that harness plugging directly into each batter? There are 2 batteries, correct? If the batteries remove easily from the chair... do so. Then your Y harness would go direct to each battery. You might find, like I do with my folding scooter, that I take only the battery in the house to charge. Does the battery (s) just slide out?

Someone with very basic electric skills needs to figure out your connectors. It just requires a simple volt meter ($10 or less) & the knowledge to use it.
Pride Wrangler
flagman1776

Postby shirley_hkg » 16 Mar 2019, 04:34

Tigerfan11 wrote:A cable to go from the XLR port of the charger, that leads off into two cables with 2 lots of 4 Anderson connectors at the other end that plug straight into the batteries themselves ( to save taking the whole chair upstairs)
!

Why not just add an XLR extension cable instead .
shirley_hkg

Postby Tigerfan11 » 16 Mar 2019, 13:24

Hi I’m in the UK (West Midlands)
Would an XLR extension cable work? Xlr at one end and Anderson connectors at the other? I suppose I could get a 2nd charger and two extension leads? Is there nothing on the chair controller box that needs adding to the leads? I’ve seen comments about balancing and stuff but as I say I have really no idea
Tigerfan11

Postby Burgerman » 16 Mar 2019, 13:33

I dont think anyone understands what you are trying to achieve.

Shirley meant leave battey in chair. Charge with long XLR cable.

I dont know why you dont just charge it downstairs.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby foghornleghorn » 16 Mar 2019, 13:40

I think Shirley means leaving the chair downstairs or even in the car and running an extension lead to the charger.

XLR leads are a microphone cable for stage use so come in pretty long sizes https://www.amazon.co.uk/MutecPower-PAC ... 4b0fc05daa
foghornleghorn

Postby Burgerman » 16 Mar 2019, 14:08

No those are not for Amps. Microphone cables are signal level, thin wires, screened, a few mA max.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby steves1977uk » 16 Mar 2019, 14:15

A long XLR extension lead is a bad idea because of volt drop. It's better to have the charger close to the chair and use a mains extension cable.

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby flagman1776 » 16 Mar 2019, 15:58

I think we grasp that you are trying to charge your chair. What we don't understand the circumstances under which you are trying to charge it? We need to know the bigger problem you are trying to solve. Are you in a flat (apartment) with no safe, secure place to charge at the entry? Do you keep your folding WC in a vehicle? Why are you trying to do this?

What is the problem with your existing charging system, through the XLR plug? Is the charging too slow?

Am I correct that there are 2 "batteries"? 1 on each side? Are the batteries easily removable? We don't know for sure the battery chemistry but it's probably Lithium Ion. Probably each battery has a built in BMS circuit board. I'm guessing this because your connector only has 4 contacts. Someone would have to explore the battery & harness to confirm what each does.

Chargers that charge through XLR plugs are "dumb chargers" & require a BMS to charge any kind of Lithium. Usually makers put the BMS at the cells inside the battery case.
Pride Wrangler
flagman1776

Postby woodygb » 16 Mar 2019, 23:15

I'd happily knock one up IF I knew what wire/s went where.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby Tigerfan11 » 17 Mar 2019, 13:39

flagman1776 wrote:I think we grasp that you are trying to charge your chair. What we don't understand the circumstances under which you are trying to charge it? We need to know the bigger problem you are trying to solve. Are you in a flat (apartment) with no safe, secure place to charge at the entry? Do you keep your folding WC in a vehicle? Why are you trying to do this?

What is the problem with your existing charging system, through the XLR plug? Is the charging too slow?

Am I correct that there are 2 "batteries"? 1 on each side? Are the batteries easily removable? We don't know for sure the battery chemistry but it's probably Lithium Ion. Probably each battery has a built in BMS circuit board. I'm guessing this because your connector only has 4 contacts. Someone would have to explore the battery & harness to confirm what each does.

Chargers that charge through XLR plugs are "dumb chargers" & require a BMS to charge any kind of Lithium. Usually makers put the BMS at the cells inside the battery case.

Sorry I'll try & explain better.
I live in a maisonette on the upper floor (1st) it has two staircases to get in. Currently my Mrs carries it up but is struggling, I can't its too much. I normally store it in my car ( theres nowhere safe outside to store it) so what I would like to do is take Both batteries out (the just unplug from the Anderson connectors) and slide them out. Then using the charger, charge the indoors overnight. the end of the charger cable is an XLR plug ( male) which plugs into the joystick controller so what I hoped to do is get a cable with a female XLR plug to a Y shaped lead with 2 sets of Anderson powerpole connectors, one set for each battery. that way I could easily carry the batteries indoors without having to carry the whole car in.
Someone posted about a BMS which sort of makes sense to me as a non techie, having looked it up on the net since, so I guess I should open the battery and see if they have one? is it like a small otherboard Im looking for?
I do appreciate everyones help, and sorry agin for not making myself clear, hope this posting makes more sense
Tigerfan11

Postby Tigerfan11 » 17 Mar 2019, 13:41

woodygb wrote:I'd happily knock one up IF I knew what wire/s went where.

Thats really kind of you Woodygb, I'll need to find that info out first. I have e mailed the company in China to see if they do one or could send me a wiring diagram...
Tigerfan11

Postby Burgerman » 17 Mar 2019, 16:26

They wont reply, or wont know what you are talking about. My guess. Its easier for someone to just look or measure.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Tigerfan11 » 18 Mar 2019, 21:08

Burgerman wrote:They wont reply, or wont know what you are talking about. My guess. Its easier for someone to just look or measure.

Well, both the charity, and the manufacturer have e mailed back and both knew exactly what I was taking about. Neither gave a curt, sulky response, and I should have it soon.

Maybe its easier for someone to listen.
Tigerfan11

Postby woodygb » 18 Mar 2019, 22:12

:thumbup:
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Return to Everything Powerchair