Personal Wheelchair Budgets

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: Personal Wheelchair Budgets

Postby foghornleghorn » 16 Apr 2018, 18:26

I thought I was being greedy keep looking at ebay to potentially add to my 4 powerchairs but I don't feel so bad now :lol:

I tend to keep receipts for big things but it's all the little bits and pieces that wear out and are easier to buy and fit than bother dealing with a repairman that probably go uncounted.
foghornleghorn

Postby Burgerman » 16 Apr 2018, 19:07

The reason you end up with 5 or 6 chairs is because you bought them! And unlike the insurance in the US, or the WCS in the UK, you OWN them. So you look after them, and you tend to maintain and rebuild them because you can and why wouldnt you, they are yours!

So you end up with old tatty ones used for dirty jobs like pressure washing the drive or going to the pub in salt encrusted winter roads. And then you have super clean ones, for distance, or speed, or off road, or meeting the bank manager or going on a date. Or one that does tricks like lift/tilt/legs/recline etc. Useful indoors in winter, or for washing the van! Or if you have a pressure sore etc. And so on. It gives you choice long term.

Once one of these gets tatty and used, just rebuild it totally as or better than new, while using the others. Keep on top! And having less than 2 GOOD backup chairs means you will someday be screwed...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby segreen » 17 Apr 2018, 16:02

Just recieved a reply to my application for my Personal Wheelchair Budget and I've been turned down on the grounds that "my wheelchairs are not crash test and so I do not meet the Bolton Wheelchair Service specification from a Health and Safety perspective". Hmm... Round 1 to BWS. :argument
segreen

Postby Burgerman » 17 Apr 2018, 18:45

The point is that all those decisions are YOURS to make!
They dont know what you may use that for, to buy (my salsa) to buy used, to maintain your fleet of used chairs, or whatever YOU decide. Its not for them to "assess" your choices.

Its easy to build a chair that would pass anyway. You just over engineer the seating and battery restraint so its safe if it is arrested by the bolt! And then no need to test. Or just tell them that you dont intend driving from the next chair since its not crash tested!

Either way they and you appear to have missed the point of this... :cussing

Take a read. The REASON the scheme exists is exactly this, to allow you to decide what to build, what to spend it on.
download/file.php?id=8102&mode=view

Well the leaflet here specifically says that I was not only ALLOWED to build my own chairs and that in fact this was the entire point of the budget. Created specifically for me to do exactly that!
I was the first, on this scheme created SPECIFICALLY for me initially so that I had the budget to allow me this freedom!

As such it gives the choice on how the money is BEST spent to you, the user. In my case to build my own powerchairs. I was sat in a BM2 heavily modified chair as we discussed this. Theres no doubt about the purpose of the money. To also allow me freedom to buy, my new Salsa, to MY spec, and to modify with seating position/wheels/tyres/programming/various mods/lithium/etc. As I see fit.

So once they start with that holier than thou bullshit, or safety nazi garbage, or responsibility excuses, whip a printed copy of the 2 pages below out. And explain to them that this was the entire POINT if the scheme right from its outset! And to get over themselves.

I might add that it says the pilot started 2018 on here. It did not! It started 7 years back, and I was the only one on it after a major uheaval and discussions with the health department (nigel lansley) and the NHS, and the local authority. After a couple of years there were 4 or five others.

So print these, and shoot them in their own foot with their own promotional leaflets :clap :ak47
Burgerman
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Everything Powerchair